I’ve lived plenty of places where the phrase “another month, another artwork” sounded as depressing as that just did, but not here. Very rarely, anyway! February is stacked with great shows, and I know how my fellow Oregonians like to lose their minds when encountering a little weather, but… too bad. No excuses.
This month we’ve got a retrospective double-exhibition in honor of the late Amy Turner. Showing at both The Arts Center and CEI Artworks, I See Faces is a hell of a show if I’ve ever seen one. I wrote about it the other week at length, which you can find here: http://corvallisadvocate.com/
Another exhibition that caught my eye was Molokai: Small Island, Large Beauty at Suite 9, a selection of photographs from Bob Loewen. As the title suggests, these beautiful images were taken on Molokai, an island in the Hawaiian chain that was most famously known as a leper colony until the late 1960s.
Elsewhere around town, the The Flow of Woven Light at Joan Truckenbrod will surely knock you out. Imagine abstract, algorithmic drawings fused with a digital thread controller. Actually, don’t. Just go to this one. It’s textile-based, and it’s gorgeous.
Not too far away you’ll find an interesting evening of live art at Jeff Hess Studios’. Chris Adams of Corvidopolis and Jeff Hess himself will be going head to head in a battle of flowing vs. rectilinear and relaxed vs. anal; you’ll have to show up to find out what that means, exactly.
As always, please do yourself a favor and make a night of it. There are a number of other great spots (such as the always good Fairbanks Gallery / Woodshop Projects double-header).
The CAW generally runs from 4-8 p.m., but some venues keep their own hours. For additional details, descriptions, and info visit http://www.
• The Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Ave.
• Art in the Valley Gallery, 209 SW Second St.
• Autzen House Gallery, 811 SW Jefferson Ave.
• The Boardroom, 460 SW Madison Ave, Suite 19.
• CEI ArtWorks Gallery, 408 SW Monroe St.
• Cyrano’s Bookbinding & Art Supplies, 361 SW Second St. (@ Adams Ave)
• Fred Amos Art Studio, 340 SW Second St. Suite #12
• The Hold Studio, 425 SW Fourth St., Suite E-2
• Jeff Hess Studio, 460 SW Madison Ave., Suite #16
• OSU Fairbanks Gallery of Art, 220 SW 26th St.
• OSU Woodshop Projects, 220 SW 26th Street, Fairbanks Hall Basement.
• Pegasus Gallery, 341 SW 2nd St.
• Plant Posse // Brittney West Studio, 340 SW 2nd Street, Ste #3.
• Truckenbrod Gallery, 517 SW Second St.
• Pops Art Studio, 425 SW Madison Ave.
• Voices Gallery, 301 SW Fourth St., Suite #160
• Rhizosphere Studios • 230 SW 3rd Street, Suite 201, 4-8 p.m.
• Studio 2 o 4, 230 SW 3rd Street, Suite 204, 4-8 p.m.