Housing Costs Forum Slated
Advocate CitySpeak, November 7
Rent burdens are at an all time high in Corvallis, and even city employees often cannot afford to buy a house here. What are the options for the average renter or buyer seeking housing in Corvallis, and how can we build a brighter future?
The next Advocate CitySpeak brings together a cadre of local housing players to discuss how we got here and what we can do. Panelists continue to be added for this event, but currently include:
• Kent Weiss, Housing & Neighborhood Services Manager for the City of Corvallis
• Tom Gerding, longtime owner and operator of Gerding Construction
• Dawn Duerksen, property management firm of Duerksen & Associates
• Brigetta Olson, COO of DevNorthWest, a non-profit affordable housing developer
• Karen Rockwell, Executive Director of Benton County Habitat for Humanity
We will examine the drivers behind severe rent burdens and ownership costs, and how these burdens effect our lives and our community as a whole. This expert panel will share what the barriers to affordability are and consider possible solutions.
Time and place: The Benton County-Corvallis Library. 645 Monroe. Thursday, November 7 at 6:30 pm. Admission is free.
By Andy Thompson