This month’s walk serves up a diverse array of exhibits that will be sure to tickle your fancy (assuming you have a fancy). I recommend carving out the time to hit every venue, though as per usual, there are a few highlights that are not to be missed.
Starting things off, we have The Littlest Gallery’s “Thermo-matic Selfie” exhibit by Chicago-based Lauren C. Sudbrink. Her piece consists of “an adhesive cast created from the artist’s body, which is, in a sense, alive because it will react, change, and transform to the temperature and humidity within a climate.” There’s more to it, of course, but the mechanical elements alone are worth making repeat visits to the little glass case.
Next up is “Local Immigrants and International Visitors: Their Stories through Narratives and Art” at the Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center. A wonderful exhibit featuring everything from photography to painting and embroidery, the idea was to “[give] local immigrants the space and opportunity to share their personal experience, an exchange that supports building bridges and mutual understanding between immigrants and other community members.”
Last in the list, but surely not least, is the “10 in 10” show at CEI ArtWorks Gallery. Ugly Art Room curator, Jen Plywell has put together a show of 10 works selected in 10 minutes. It features some of my favorite Corvallis artists, such as Kris Askew, Matt Conklin, Brian Bonney, and Patrick Hackleman. With the roster listed on their flier, the works could have been selected blindfolded and still been awesome. Adding Plywell’s great curatorial sense to that and you’ve got a serious winner.
The CAW traditionally runs from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., but not all venues follow the standard. As always, for more information please visit http://www.corvallisartswalk.
• Cyrano’s Bookbinding & Art Supplies, 361 SW 2nd St. & Adams
• Darkside Cinema, 215 SW 4th St.
• Fred Amos Art Studio, 340 SW 2nd St. Studio #12
• The Hold, 425 SW 4th St., Suite E-2
• CEI ArtWorks Gallery, 408 SW Monroe Avenue, Suite 110
• The Littlest Gallery, Glass Case at Starbucks, 4th Street at Madison
• Studio Beatrice, 230 NW 6th Street
• The Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Avenue
• Pops Art Studio, 425 SW Madison Avenue, Suite P1
• Teal Artist Cooperative, 328 SW 2nd St, 4-8pm
• Corvallis Multicultural Literacy Center,
128 SW 9th St
• Evil Eye Studios, 460 SW Madison Ave, Suite #7
PS: Word on the street is that there’s some kind of fantastic raffle going on at The Arts Center for CAW participants…
By Johnny Beaver