April has arrived, and with it a lineup of art shows that you just might be able to go see without freezing half to death in the process. Don’t quote me on that.
There are several stand-out shows this time around, including the elephant in the room: Matt Conklin’s NOW HEAR THIS at CEI Artworks. We talked this up a storm last week for a reason. The press info for his exhibit calls him a visionary, and I personally feel like that might even be too light a description. Not many world-builders have achieved what Conklin has, and you’d really be doing yourself a great injustice to skip out on this one. People talk a good game about the brilliant things happening in our backyards – this is a chance to see that in action.
Also worthy of your time is Oregon State University, Bachelor of Fine Arts grad Caroline Moses’ I Know What You’d Like, Something I Can Understand at the Voices Gallery. She’ll be showing a series of reflective works that exist “somewhere between the conceptual art world and how the general population validates art. It aims to provide commentary on the judgments of valuable use of artists’ time, rather than the art itself.”
Additional spots you’ll want to put near the top of your list include Fairbanks Gallery and Woodshop Projects – the former will feature Plinkiewisch scholar work (ie. Art students who have received a major, merit-based scholarship), and the latter a show from Portland artist Katherine Spinella that looks really enticing.
As always, you should really make a night of it and hit up every joint in the list. You never know what you’ll find!
The CAW traditionally runs from 4 to 8 p.m., but not all venues follow the standard. For more information please visit http://www.corvallisartswalk.
• The Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Avenue
• CEI ArtWorks Gallery, 408 SW Monroe Avenue, Suite 110
• Darkside Cinema, 215 SW 4th St.
• Evil Eye Studios, 406 SW Madison Ave. #7
• Fred Amos Art Studio, 340 SW 2nd St. Studio #12
• The Hold, 425 SW 4th St., Suite E-2
• Jagged Touch Studio, 340 SW 2nd St. #11
• The Little Gallery, OSU Kidder Hall 210
• The Majestic Theatre, 115 SW 2nd St
• OSU Woodshop Projects (basement level of Fairbanks Gallery)
• Pops Art Studio, 425 SW Madison Avenue, Suite P1
• Studio Beatrice, 230 NW 6th St.
By Johnny Beaver