It was a packed house at the Linn County Fairgrounds last Saturday night as The Sick Town Derby Dames kicked off their league season with a rousing intrasquad battle between The Punks “Sick Pistols” taking on The Preps “Country Club Crushers.”
The Sick Pistols won with a final score of 135-113. The Preps were getting blown at early in the match but made an excellent recovery in the second half to make the score more respectable.
After each bout, the team votes for MVP Jammer, MVP Blocker and Crowd Pleaser.
Here are the awards for the Sick Pistols:
* MVP Jammer – Natural DisASSter
* MVP Blocker – Lil’ Pwny
* Crowd Pleaser – Blood Stain
For the Country Club Crushers:
* MVP Jammer – Stitches N’ Bones
* MVP Blocker – Van Slam
* Crowd Pleaser – Ophelia MuffKrush
News & Notes:
* Part of the Sick Town Derby Dames mission is to give back to the local community. At Saturday’s bout, representatives from Senior Dog Rescue of Oregon were present with an information table and some of their rescue dogs. This organization has been entirely volunteer-run and operated for over 15 years. Their mission is to take in older pets and foster them until they can find new homes. Learn more about this fantastic organization at: www.seniordogrescueoforegon.petfinder.com or contact Susan at 541-908-2231.
* The evening got off to an emotional start with a touching pre-bout ceremony honoring Brick Wallace. Brick retired from playing roller derby this season and is currently the Sick Town coach. Brick founded the league after participating with the Emerald City Roller Girls in Eugene. Brick is the inspiration for many of the roller derby skaters as without her, they wouldn’t have had the opportunity to participate in this fantastic sport.
* Making their debut at the bout was Sick Town’s newest team, the Candy Stripers. The Candy Stripers are Sick Town’s junior derby skaters, ranging in age from 10 to 17. These skaters meet twice a week and go through training to learn all the same stops, falls and the drills the adult skaters use. The Candy Stripers next open enrollment will be Wednesday, June 20th. For more information, follow the Candy Stripers Jr. Derby on Facebook or email sicktowncandystripers[at]gmail[dot]com.
* Interested in joining Sick Town Derby Dames as a skater? The next ‘New Skater Day’ is Tuesday, May 1st from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Write to sicktownrecruits[at]gmail[dot]com for information on participating.
* Here’s a video recap from last Saturday’s bout. Enjoy!
* Next bout: Saturday, April 28th “April Showers Bring Sick Powers” Bout. The Sick Town S*M*A*S*H Unit takes on Lava City Roller Dolls. Doors open at 5 p.m and the bout starts at 6 p.m. at the Linn County Fairgrounds. Tickets available at www.brownpapertickets.com. E-mail sicktownderbydames[at]gmail[dot]com for more info.