American Spring Symposium
Weekends of May 12-13, May 19-20
Change is coming to America–or is it? The Arts Center presents American Spring, a symposium on radical change in America, to discuss whether it’s happening, the implications, and the historical context.
Four panels of experts will explore various avenues of change – from music to media, strikes, and grow-your-own-food efforts. The goal is to open up group discussions on radical change, plus place contemporary movements such as Occupy Wall Street and Arab Spring in their historical contexts.
- Saturday, May 12 – “This Machine Kills Fascists: Woody Guthrie and Populism in Music”
- (Followed by documentary about Woody Guthrie’s 1941 stay in Portland; 7 p.m. at the Majestic Theatre, 115 SW 2nd St.; Cost: $7)
- Sunday, May 13 – “Strike! Organizing Labor in the 21st Century”
- Saturday, May 19 – “The Revolution Will Be Live-Streamed: Rethinking Media and Journalism”
- Sunday, May 20 – “Seeds of Victory: War Gardens and the ‘Grow Local’ Movement”
All panels take place at 2 p.m. at the Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Ave., Corvallis. Admission is free. For more information, visit The Arts Center’s website